Friday, May 20, 2016

I'll Shine Up My Old Brown Shoes

Day five!

Click for the Tips and Tricks - Friday 5/20 Link List.
Let's round out the week by sharing our best diabetes tips and diabetes tricks. From how you organize supplies to how you manage gear on the go/vacation (beach, or skiing, or whatever). From how you keep track of prescription numbers to how you remember to get your orders refilled. How about any “unconventional” diabetes practices, or ways to make diabetes work for YOU (not necessarily how the doctors say to do it!). There's always something we can learn from each other. (Remember though, please no medical advice or dangerous suggestions.) 

Tricks:

  • At work, we have an online calendar that we keep tasks on. I set an online task every Monday to upload my info for my doctor so he can adjust my pump settings. It's incredible to have the reminder every week. 
  • Always keep an extra meter by your bed. This makes night time lows and highs easier to deal with. 
  • Also, water and glucose tabs (or whatever you prefer to treat with) on the bedside stand. It makes crawling to the kitchen at 3 am less likely. 
  • USE TWITTER AND OTHER SOCIAL MEDIA FOR COMPLAINTS. This works with anything, but comes in handy for responses. 
  • Count to three and breathe out before injecting, booking pumps up, or finger pricks. This helps me not psych myself out. 
  • Educate people whenever you can. This makes the stipulations and misinformation stop. Even if it's just with one person. It can make a difference. 

Tips: 
  • Don't treat low blood sugar with beer. Just trust me on this one. 
  • Apply for every scholarship to conferences you can. I've won two and love being able to be around my people. 
  • If you can, volunteer as a camp counselor. It CHANGED MY LIFE. 
  • Utilize the DOC. These people will be your best allies. Even if you feel like an outsider. They always take care of you. 
  • Ask for help. Out of insulin? Supplies? Need advice? Some one will help. There are a number of people who have saved my life. And I've paid it forward a few times, as well. 

I've been happy to be a part of all of this during blog week. Thanks for reading!

1 comment:

  1. I was in severe ribs and stomach pain at about this time last year. And I went to the hospital for treatment and was diagnosed for CHRONIC HEPATITIS B I was told it has no cure and i was so devastated because all hope seems to be lost, some drugs was given me to slowdown the viral load, and it got worse after sometime. I came across Dr. Iyabiye’s recommendation online while studying about the disease, and then I reach out to him just to try but I was taken by surprise. I got completely cured, all the pains were gone and I went back to the hospital for another test and I was tested negative to the disease. Here is the doctor’s contact if interested: iyabiyehealinghome@gmail.com (+234-815-857-7300)

    ReplyDelete