Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Pump, Pump, Pump, Pump it UP!

Monday morning, I woke up and got ready for my day. I wanted to get as much done as possible before I had to go in for my pump training at 1:00. After I ran to Ace Hardware, I decided to stop in to Panera for a late breakfast. I was very excited to get something delicious in my belly before everything I knew would change.

After I ordered, I sat down, by myself, and started my pre-eating routine. I took my blood sugar, I prepped my stomach with an alcohol pad, and I took my before meal shot of Humalog. As I began to take my first bite, a gentleman with a very warm smile wheeled his wheel chair over to me. I noticed he was missing his right foot. He looked at me and said, "Diabetes sucks, doesn't it?" "Yes it does, sir. Yes it does."

Panic set in. Tears started rolling. Although he was gentle, and very nice, that statement, accompanied with a missing limb, scared the living shit out of me.

Naturally, I started over-thinking. What if I can't get the pump in? What if my body doesn't take it? What if I hate it? Why am I doing this? Why am I doing this alone? I'm all alone. I'll always be all alone. I'm never going to be able to manage this. I'm never going to be able to do anything. I'm failing. Once again.

I spent the better part of the morning crying. I called my cousin. She helped a bit. But my mind was racing that while I was talking to her, I just drove around in circles for about ten minutes. Talked to my mom. She just basically told me I was fixing the problem not causing another one. (Rational Charli knew this already, but she wasn't all that present for the conversation.) Talked to Christine. She was the biggest help because she knew I knew I was being silly, but just needed to freak out a bit. Called Tim. Made him get out of work to come with me. He all but fell asleep in the doctors office as I sat quietly, trying to listen to every word I was being told.

The lady that was doing my pump training was very sweet. But of course, I nitpicked everything she said because she bashed Omnipod a little--another pump company that I tried this weekend via the JDRF and saline. She told too many stories. I get that in her many years of working with this company, she probably would know someone who could relate to every possible situation. But I didn't care to hear it.

My heartbeat was growing more rapidly as she went over all the things I went over in my online training tutorials. I just kept thinking about the needle and the tubing and being connected to something that wasn't waterproof. I thought about the pain and the inconvenience and having a battery die on me or my tubing get bubbles or my tube in my skin popping out. I thought about doing it wrong and not getting the insulin I needed. I thought about forgetting everything she said because I was thinking about everything else. I thought about giving Tim the stank eye for falling asleep in the corner. I wanted to scream. I wanted to cry. I wanted to kick Tim. I wanted to hold his hand. I wanted a Diet Coke.

As she pulled my first set out of the box, my palms started sweating. I looked at it. As she gave me further instructions, I just wanted to skip past it and get it done. She made me stand up and sit down and stand up again. I just wanted this stupid thing done before I psyched myself out for all the pain and discomfort.

As I held the quickset against my skin, and pushed in the inserter, I took a deep breath. And exhaled. It was done. It was so easy and it didn't hurt at all! I was relieved, but annoyed for getting myself so worked up.

We left the office and got something to eat. I couldn't believe how convenient it was! I just pressed a few buttons and it was done. DONE. No prepping, no putting the needle on. No shot. No taking the needle off. No disposing properly of the needle. No putting away my quick pen. Although my anxiety was still high, I was so relieved.

I went to bed last night, exhausted and worn out. I slept until 4:30. Oops. I slept through the alarm at 2:30 when i was supposed to check my BSL. Oh well. Could be worse. My BSL was high. But not that high. And when I checked again at 6:30, it was lower than it has been at 6:30 am in weeks. My ten am BSL was even better.

I got to the kids this morning. I explained it to the two year old, who said, "Your medsin talks like my Mickey phone!" and "I want to help you!" When I was giving the girls their bath, I explained to Aubrey my medicine couldn't get wet, so she didn't splash this bath time. She's very sweet. The baby didn't rip out my tubing. I'm not sure she even realizes it was there. The dog sniffed my pump and walked away.

My BSL has been pretty much within range all day. And now my new little electronic borg is telling me I need to check again. Better do what it says!

112! Two hours after eating! I might still have some crazy times the next couple days getting used to it, but right now, it's pretty damn good.

I did it. I got a pump. And, now, I have better control over my health. I can do this.


  1. Freaking out is ok :) I do it hourly and I don't even have diabetes! Can't wait to hear more about how the pump helps out!!!

  2. Darn straight you can do it girl!!!! Congrats on a good start.

  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

  4. Reading this reminded me of my first insertion. I was shaking like a leaf. It gets better and yes, you can do this.

  5. girl, you are kicking some serious ass, and you can totally do this! we're with you every step of the way! <3

  6. I resisted using a pump for years, and when I finally did, I wondered why I didn't start earlier. Congratulations! You're doing great!

  7. I know it's been 2 months since you wrote this, but I have to say I'm in tears reading it. I can put myself right there with you. Every single time I go through training with a new pump or CGM, I'm nervous as heck. One of my trainers even got mad at me for not pushing the button to insert the site and did it herself. It's just so easy to get worked up.
    But in the end, looking back it seems silly to get that worked up, but this stuff is a huge deal. You did VERY awesome (and continue to do so). Proud of you, girlie.

  8. Really don't worry about getting worked up - you should have seen what I used to be like! I've had the pump 5 years and it used to take me about half an hour to gather the courage to put the set in. The CGM more recently was even worse!
    Like Sarah said,I know you wrote this a while back, but like her I can place myself in your position, and I am too so proud of you - it is such a huge step and a scary one, but ultimately so worth it and the pump will really make your life so much better.
    Good luck :)